Latest Amended By-Laws
The latest amended bylaws can be downloaded at the link below. They are also reproduced here in their entirety for your convenience.
BYLAWS OF ARLINGTON HEIGHTS CIVIC CLUB OF HOUSTON, TEXAS
Chapter I. MEMBERSHIP. DUES. ELECTIONS AND MEETINGS
1. Membership in this organization shall be confined to adult residents of Arlington Heights Addition that have paid their annual dues.
1. Annual dues shall be $30 per family.
2. Annual dues shall be due January 31st each year.
1. Club Officers for the ensuing year shall be elected at the annual election meeting in March of each year.
2. The Executive Committee shall appoint a Nominating Committee of at least three (3) members, which shall submit a nominee for each office. The list of nominees shall be submitted in writing to the member’s one-week prior to the annual election meeting.
3. Further nominations may be made from the floor at the annual election meeting.
4. Each member present at the annual election meeting shall have one (1) vote for each office.
5. Voting shall be by secret ballot If there is more than one (1) nominee for each officer. A majority vote shall elect each officer, who shall take office no later than April 30.
6. Vacancies on the Executive Committee occurring between the annual elections shall be filled by the Executive Committee.
7. An elected Officer or Committee Member who is unable to continue functioning shall so notify the Executfve Committee of his or her desire to be relieved of office.
1. Regular meeting shall be held the second Tuesday of January, March, May, July, September, and November of each year at 7:30 p.m. at a place within or near Arlington Heights, as provided by the Club.
2. Special meetings may be called at any time by the President, or in their absence, by the Vice President.
3. Special meetings may be called upon petition of any twenty (20) members.
4. Advance notice of all meetings must be given all members.
5. In the absence of the President, the Vice President, or their appointed chairperson, the members present may elect a temporary chairperson for the meeting.
6. The Executive Committee shall meet monthly if deemed necessary.
» BY-LAWS OF ARLINGTON HEIGHTS CIVIC CLUB, Page 2
CHAPTER II. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1. Shall preside at all meeting of the Club and Executive Committee.
2. Shall supervise the execution of the programs adopted by the Club.
3. Shall receive all communications and supervise all correspondence for the Organization.
4. Shall vote only in case of a tie vote and for the election of Officers.
5. Shall sign a« checks for disbursing Club funds.
6. Shall have the authority to disburse funds for usual Club operations $0 to $300.00 without approval; $300.00 to $1,000.00 without approval one time; after one time unanimous approval by all elected officers. Over $1,000.00 needs a vote at the Civic Club meeting.
7. Shall not contract for the Club, except as provided by the Club.
8. If the President and Vice President are unable to attend a meeting, the President may appoint a temporary Chairperson for the evening.
B. VICE PRESIDENT
l. Shall assist the President in the discharge of their duties.
2. Shall preside in the absence of the President or at the request of the President.
3. When acting as President, shall have all the powers and be subject to all restrictions of the President.
C. RECORDING SECRETARY
1. Shall keep a true and correct record of all the proceedings and minutes of the organization.
D. CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
1. Shall be responsible for preparation and distribution of a least 4 up to 6 newsletters per year under the supervision of the President, and for notifying member of all meetings.
1. Shall deposit Club funds in a local bank, in the name of the Arlington Heights Civic Club.
2. Shall keep and account for all money, credits, and property of the Club, and report on finances at each meeting.
» BY-LAWS OF ARLINGTON HEIGHTS CIVIC CLUB, Page 3
3. Shall countersign all checks disbursing Club funds.
4. At the end of each term of office, shall render a formal statement of the account of this organization as of the date of expiration of said term, and inscribe thereon, under oath before a Notary Pub1ic of Harris County, State of Texas, that the statement is a true and correct account of the financial condition so described of the Arlington Heights Civic Club.
1. When the assets of this Club exceeds $1,000.00, the disbursing Officers and counter slgnee’s of both the Civic Club and the Paid Security Program shall be placed under bond.
1. An officer of this Club may be recalled from office and the office declared vacant by a majority vote of the members present at a meeting, providing that the Officer and membership are notified of the intention to recall at least one (1) week prior to the meeting.
1. The President may appoint a Parliamentarian to advise on procedure in conducting the meetings. The Parliamentarian will not rank as an officer of the Club. Robert’s Rules of Order shall be used as authority on procedure at Club meetings.
CHAPTER Ill. COMMITTEES
A. DEED RESTRICTION COMMITTEE
1. The Civic Club President shall appoint a chairperson and a committee of a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of seven (7) persons to serve for the term of the President. The President shall fill vacancies. (See attachment No. 1 for stated purposes of committee.)
B. PAID SECURITY PROGRAM COMMITTEE
1. The President shall appoint a Chairperson, Treasurer, Vice Treasurer, and a Collection Sub-committee, of three (3) and a maximum of seven (7) persons to serve for the term of the President. The President shall fill vacancies. (See attachment No. 1 for stated purpose of committee.)
» BY·LAWS OF ARLINGTON HEIGHTS CIVIC CLUB, Page 4
C. Other Committees may be appointed as deemed necessary by the President or as otherwise provided by the membership.
CHAPTER IV. MISCELLANEOUS
A. A Copy of the· Constitution and Bylaws of this Club shall be furnished a member upon request.
B. Before the Civic Club can take action to initiate or finance (or conversely to withhold finances from) a lawsuit, all members must be notified within a reasonable time prior to the meeting at which 1~he vote will the take.
C. The outgoing President shall aμautomatically be a member of the Executive Committee for a period of one year.
CHAPTER V. AMENDMENT
A. These Bylaws may be amended at any time by a majority vote of the members present at any regular or special meeting, provided that any proposed amendments shall have been submitted to the members at least one (1) week prior to the meeting.
ADOPTED: October 27, 1960
AMENDED: September 13, 1971
AMENDED: August 14, 1972
AMENDED: February 18, 1974
AMENDED: April 10, 1979
AMENDED: September 14, 1982
AMENDED: May 11, 2005
AMENDED: October 10, 2017 (dues and meetings)
Note: The above proposed revisions together with any amendments voted at the regular meeting October 10, 2017 will supersede all previous amendments to the Bylaws.